- Opportunity to work in a highly dynamic work environment
- Job security - 2 year contract with strong prospect of renewal
- Attractive salary packaging & superannuation options
About QIMR Berghofer:
QIMR Berghofer is a world-leading translational medical research institute focused on improving health by developing new diagnostics, better treatments and prevention strategies, specifically in the areas of cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and chronic disorders. Based in Herston, Brisbane and working in close collaboration with clinicians and other research institutes, QIMR Berghofer is home to more than 600 scientists, students and support staff.
QIMR Berghofer Medical Research Institute provides world class facilities for histology, flow cytometry, Imaging and animal experiments.
About the Immunology in Cancer and Infection Laboratory:
The laboratory headed by Prof Mark Smyth investigates how tumour-induced immune suppression impedes the effective treatment of established cancer. We aim to increase the proportion of cancer patients who will respond to immunotherapy by exploring novel pathways & combinations that can be rationally targeted. Subsequently, their scheduling & safety can be evaluated using unique mouse models the laboratory has developed. Ultimately, our goal is to translate our pre-clinical findings & test in clinical trials through our clinical colleagues. Our institute is part of a major hospital campus.
Role Purpose / Responsibilities:
Applications are invited for a motivated research officer or senior research assistant to join a team working with US pharma to targeting novel immune checkpoints on T/NK cells using multivalent antibody therapy.
This position will involve large number of in vitro, in vivo and ex vivo experiments, involving animal handling, animal experimentation (i.v, s.c, i.p injections), immune subset isolation, tumour infiltrating leukocyte (TIL) isolation, serum and tissue analysis, and complex flow cytometry.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- ability to manage several research projects arising from collaborations with academia or with pharmaceutical industry
- supervision of students
- application for relevant academic grant funding
Our institute has first rate facilities and infrastructure, including the largest gene targeted mouse colony collection in Australia.
The applicant will have the opportunity to interact with scientists and medical oncologist as part of the larger Cancer Immunology Group comprising of two other laboratories (35 staff and students total). These groups have a dedicated lab manager and animal core and IHC core groups. In addition, through our local, national and international clinical collaborations, the applicant will have the ability to translate any novel immuno-oncology targets.
We are seeking an applicant who can work independently and has initiative, creativity and drive.
To be successful in this role you are expected to have technical knowledge and experience in:
- MSc/Ph.D (0-6 years of experience) from an accredited university in immunology, immuno-oncology or related discipline.
- Hands on experience working with various mouse tumor models, including administering immunotherapeutic agents (i.v., i.p., s.c. and oral gavage), eye or cheek bleeding.
- Expertise in performing complex flow cytometry analysis on various immune organs and tumour infiltrating leukocytes
Other desirable skills and knowledge include
- Computational skills for analyzing bulk and single-cell RNA sequencing data using various data software packages
You will have a solid publication track record (relative to opportunity). You have will demonstrable experience in the analysis of experimental results and preparation of research presentations. You should demonstrate excellent written and oral communication skills and have the ability to work well within established collaborative academic teams and with pharmaceutical companies.
Remuneration: Salary range $82,506 to $88,522 plus salary packaging benefits and generous superannuation. This is a full time position for two years with strong prospect for renewal.
For further information: Contact Professor Mark Smyth on email@example.com
Closing Date: 28 July 2020
To submit an application: use the APPLY button. All applicants must supply the following documents: Cover Letter, Resume and Selection Criteria.
What we offer:
- Salary Packaging
- Bonus Superannuation
- State of the art facilities
- Stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge medical research
- Supportive/collaborative team environment