- Brisbane Based
- Molecular Parasitology Group
- Attractive salary packaging & superannuation options
About QIMR Berghofer:
QIMR Berghofer is a world-leading translational medical research institute focused on improving health by developing new diagnostics, better treatments and prevention strategies, specifically in the areas of cancer, infectious diseases, mental health and chronic disorders. Based in Herston, Brisbane and working in close collaboration with clinicians and other research institutes, QIMR Berghofer is home to more than 600 scientists, students and support staff.
About the Molecular Parasitology Laboratory:
The Molecular Parasitology Laboratory, run by Professor Don McManus, is one of the leading tropical diseases laboratories in Australia. The laboratory researches the biology and epidemiology of parasitic worms of humans (Schistosoma and other parasitic flukes; Echinococcus; intestinal worms) and works on developing new interventions, including vaccines, and diagnostic procedures that will lead to their elimination.
Role Purpose / Responsibilities:
The primary responsibilities of this position are to:
- Run established and maintain parasitological/biochemical/immunological and biochemical procedures in the laboratory – training will be provided as necessary
- Test and benchmark new and existing tools
- Work with Dr. Hong You (principal supervisor) and other post-docs in the laboratory to help collect and interpret data
- Provide support to Ms Mary Duke in the life cycle maintenance of schistosomes
The successful candidate will be required to have 1-2 years’ medical research experience post degree qualification and a proven ability to work as part of a team. Good communication skills are essential. The following technical skills are required:
- Cell and stem cell culture
- PCR and qPCR
- Plasmid reconstruction and cloning skills
- Protein expression and purification,
- Western blot, ELISA
- Tissue preparation
- Multi-colour flow cytometry and immune response analysis
- Immunofluorescent staining
- Animal handling
Remuneration: Salary range is $65,380 to $76,488 per annum. This is a full-time appointment to 31 December 2021 with the potential for renewal.
For further information: Contact Hong You on Hong.You@qimrberghofer.edu.au
Closing Date: 30 January 2021
To submit an application: use the APPLY button. All applicants must supply the following documents: Resume and Cover letter addressing the criteria.
What we offer:
- Salary Packaging
- Bonus Superannuation
- State of the art facilities
- Stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge medical research
- Supportive/collaborative team environment