- Work with medical researchers to develop innovative therapeutics and diagnostics
- Lead a pre-clinical accelerator program
- Attractive salary packaging & superannuation options
About QIMR Berghofer:
QIMR Berghofer is a world-leading translational medical research institute focused on improving health by developing new diagnostics, better treatments and prevention strategies, specifically in the areas of Cancer Research, Infection and Inflammation, Mental Health and Neuroscience, and Population Health. Based in Herston, Brisbane and working in close collaboration with clinicians and other research institutes, QIMR Berghofer is home to more than 600 scientists, students and support staff.
About Business Development:
The Business Development Unit provides the interface between researchers and commercial partners and is involved in all aspects of business and portfolio planning for commercial projects running within QIMR Berghofer. This includes direct involvement in shaping projects, leading discussions with industry partners and proactively introducing new business opportunities to QIMR Berghofer.
Role Purpose / Responsibilities:
The primary responsibilities include but are not limited to;
Commercial activities for the Institute:
- Lead the Q-Accelerator process
- Lead alignment of research, commercial and clinical strategy compatible with industry standards to drive successful drug development by the Institute and/or its partner organisations
- Identify commercial partners for QIMR Berghofer research assets, develop collaboration strategies and open new high-value collaboration discussions which could generate long-term returns for QIMR Berghofer in case of successful development
Portfolio analysis and management:
- Work closely with researchers in the identification of inventions and the development of commercialisation strategies and plans.
- Develop commercial proposals and pitch to potential investors
- Negotiate with commercial partners, investors and potential licensees for the development of QIMR Berghofer intellectual property
Systems and processes:
- Develop and implement best practice commercial and intellectual property systems to facilitate intellectual property management, commercial strategy and policy
- Lead the education of researchers and senior staff in the commercialisation of intellectual property
For the full list of duties please refer to the Position Description.
You are required to have;
- Post graduate qualifications in science or life science discipline with experience working in a commercial environment, or equivalent combination of qualifications and experience.
- Experience reviewing medical research projects and conducting intellectual property process and invention audit
- Demonstrated experience with the commercialisation of intellectual property
- Good negotiation skills including experience analysing and evaluating alternatives
- Excellent presentation and customer engagement skills including pitching commercial proposals
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to form good working relationships with researchers at all level
- Experienced in the development of project proposals for commercial funding and partnering opportunities
- Good project management skills with the ability to participate in the management of projects, which have a commercial focus
- Experience working autonomously and as a member of a small team
Remuneration: Salary range is $119,965 to $128,725 p.a. plus superannuation and salary packaging. This is a full-time, permanent appointment.
For further information: Please contact Rob McLachlan, Head of Business Development on (07) 3845 3786 or Robert.McLachlan@qimrberghofer.edu.au
To submit an application: use the APPLY button. All applicants must supply the following documents: Resume and Cover letter addressing the criteria.
Closing Date: 14 August 2022
What we offer:
- Salary Packaging
- Bonus Superannuation
- State of the art facilities
- Stimulating work setting focussed on cutting edge medical research
- Supportive/collaborative team environment